A dog bite attack lawyer can help determine liability in a dog bite case by collecting evidence and using their legal experience to demonstrate that another party owes you damages. A dog bite attorney from our firm can also do the work needed to build a solid claim and secure fair compensation so you can focus on recovering from your injury.
Liability in Dog Bite Cases
The standard for determining liability in dog bite cases varies from state to state. According to CCP § 3342, California pet owners are strictly liable for bite injuries. Strict liability means dog owners are financially responsible for damages resulting from a bite. You do not need to prove the dog has a history of violence or that the owner had knowledge of previous attacks or acts of aggression.
There are some exceptions to strict liability. Strict liability does not apply if:
- You were trespassing on private property when bitten.
- You provoked the dog.
- A police or military dog bit you in the line of duty.
- You suffered a dog attack injury that was not a bite (for example, if you fell and broke your arm while a dog was chasing you, you will need to prove owner negligence or animal aggression).
Strict liability laws differ from states with a “one-bite” rule, where victims must prove negligence or show that the owner knew or should have known their dog might display aggressive behavior.
Proving Financial Responsibility for Your Dog Bite Injury
You may not have to prove that a dog owner acted negligently to win dog bite compensation, but you must show that the dog caused your injuries that led to financial losses. You may also need to establish ownership of the animal (or that the liable party is the dog’s “keeper” or “harborer”).
Un Abogada de lesiones personales can help you build your case by collecting evidence, which may include the following:
- Police reports
- Registros médicos
- Photographs of your bite and other injuries
- Pictures of the scene of the attack
- Surveillance or cell phone footage of the attack
- Eyewitness accounts
- Expert testimony
- The dog’s veterinary records
- Previous complaints about the animal to animal control
- Proof of your attack-related expenses, including receipts, invoices, bills, pay stubs, and estimates
A dog bite lawyer from our team will also manage case details so you don’t have to. We will draft and file your paperwork, track and adhere to deadlines, and communicate with insurance agents, opposing attorneys, and other involved parties. Throughout the legal process, we will aggressively fight for the compensation you deserve.
Recovering Dog Attack Compensation
Dog bite attacks can cause severe injuries, including torn skin, deep puncture wounds, nerve damage, and broken bones. Bite injuries can also result in infection and dog-borne illnesses, such as rabies or staphylococcus. Victims may need surgeries, antibiotics, or even intravenous medications to heal, all of which can quickly add up.
You and your family should not have to pay for these expenses. They should fall on the dog’s owner. A bite injury attorney with our law firm can help you identify and calculate your losses and pursue financial compensation for the following economic and non-economic damages:
- Medical bills, including emergency care, medications, stitches, medical procedures, reconstructive surgery, hospital stays, doctor’s fees, and physical therapy
- Lost income, including back pay, employment benefits, and loss of your future earning capacity if you sustained a disabling injury that prevents you from returning to your previous job
- Personal property, including cell phones, laptops, jewelry, or other personal items damaged during your attack
- Household services if you need assistance with cooking, cleaning, child care, and other tasks while you heal
- Pain and suffering, including anxiety, depression, mental and emotional distress, scarring, disfigurement, loss of mobility, loss of enjoyment, and reduced quality of life
Sadly, some dog bite attacks are fatal. If your loved one died because of a bite injury or animal attack, we can seek wrongful death compensation for their medical costs, funeral and burial expenses, and lost income and services. We can also pursue awards for the loss of your family member’s love, protection, guidance, and companionship.
How Long Do You Have to Pursue a Dog Bite Lawsuit?
Most homeowner’s insurance policies pay for dog bite injuries. You may be able to resolve your case with an insurance claim, which you should file as soon as possible.
If insurance is not an option or the insurance company refuses to offer a full and fair settlement, you can file a lawsuit. According to PCCh § 335.1, you have two years to file a personal injury or wrongful death case. If you do not act within the statute of limitations, the court will likely refuse your suit, even if another party is clearly liable for your damages.
Contact KJT Law Group for Help Proving Dog Bite Attack Liability
KJT Law Group’s personal injury attorneys can help you determine liability in your dog bite case. We offer quality legal representation for dog bite victims in the greater Los Angeles area on a contingency fee basis. Contacta con nosotras hoy al (818) 507-8525 for a free consultation and connect with a lawyer near you.