Los Angeles Fire Damage Attorneys

Basic law says that a tenant has a right to live in a safe and habitable place. So, if an apartment was damaged by a fire, it is the landlord’s responsibility for repairing the property as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, it is not always as straightforward as this. What if the tenant was negligent and the fire was his fault? Who is responsible to replace personal property? And what about your lease?

Tenant was negligent

The landlord cannot be expected to pay for damages if the apartment or home fire were caused by a tenant himself. If the landlord can prove that the tenant caused the fire, he can file suit for damages caused.

Personal items lost in a fire

Tenants are responsible for their own property in a rental unit. The only way to claim for lost items is through renter’s insurance. Call your company and file your claim.

It was the landlord’s negligence

The only way how a landlord can be responsible for lost items in a fire is when the fire was caused due to his negligence and the fire was something that he could have prevented.

But the tenant has to have evidence that the landlord knew about the problem beforehand. A building inspector had come out, for example, and cited the landlord to update electrical wiring before the fire happened.

What about the rest of my lease?

If your house or the apartment were so damaged by a fire that it is now unfit to live in, you have the right to leave and stop paying rent. Your local health department will have to issue a report to support your case.

Usually, if you were not responsible for the fire, you are up to date with your rental payments and the property will take more than a year to repair, no-one can force you to keep up the rental agreement and you are allowed to cancel.

A fire on a property can bring out the worst in people. Landlords try to charge tenants for the cost of repairs, even if the fire was not their fault. Finding evidence and paperwork to support your story can be a nightmare.

We provide legal services in English, Spanish, and Armenian. Request a free consultation today by calling us at (818) 873-0181 or by submitting an online contact form.

The Opinions That Matter Most

Read Our Client's 5-Star Reviews
  • My case settled for more than I ever expected!

    “These guys know their stuff. I would definitely recommend their services!!!”

    - Aren B.
  • Honest and didn’t sugar coat anything.

    “KJT Law Group was amazing. If ever you need a lawyer, I highly recommend KJT Law Group.”

    - Rochelle C.
  • The staff is courteous, professional, and highly skilled

    “Vaché handled every detail of my car accident case, he arranged the best medical care possible, recovered all losses and secured a generous settlement. This is by far my best experience! Thank you KJT!”

    - Dzaghig B.
  • KJT Law Group has an amazing team and I am so happy I had them represent me.

    “Throughout the whole process, I felt that they really cared about me and my case, which I am very thankful for.”

    - Anna K.
  • These guys are youthful, experienced and polished.

    “Go with the KJT team, you won’t regret it.”

    - C.J.
  • The attorneys at KJT Law Group are very knowledgeable, persistent and amazingly driven

    “I’m very happy that I chose them to represent me”

    - Leana G.

What Sets Us Apart

  • Aggressive, Experienced, and Compassionate Counsel
  • Services Offered In Spanish & Armenian
  • Millions Recovered For Our Clients
  • We Make You Our Priority
  • Work Directly With Your Attorney

We Will Fight For You

Start Recovering Today

Contact our firm to get started.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
You're Hurt.
We're Here.

We provide legal services in English, Spanish, and Armenian. Request a free consultation today by calling us at (818) 873-0181 or by submitting an online contact form.