Free case evaluation (818) 507 8525

Why is lead paint a problem?

 Lead-based paint is toxic to young children and pregnant women.   It can chip and peel, disintegrate into dust or wash off into the soil.   If it is breathed in or eaten (young children has been known to eat anything!) lead paint dust or chips can cause lead poisoning.

Consequences of lead paint exposure

Lead poisoning can cause learning disabilities, attention deficits, headaches, memory loss, digestion problems, and kidney damage.   Birth defects are not uncommon.

The use of lead paint is now illegal.   But thousands of homes built before 1978 still contain lead-based paint.  Laws do not require the paint to be removed, but a landlord or someone selling an old house has to disclose if there is lead-based paint in a building.

So, what must my landlord do?

Potential renters must know if a property contains lead-based paint.   A landlord must give his tenants a pamphlet that describes the dangers of lead paint.

The presence of lead paint must be specifically mentioned in the lease agreement.   If the landlord knows a property was built before 1978, it must be tested to gauge the level of contamination.

A landlord that fails to adhere to this, can face hefty fines, liability for short- and long-term damages done to tenants and in very serious cases, even jail time.

Help me

 Were you, your child or anyone in your rental home affected by lead poisoning in any way?

Contact KJT Law Group for advice on whether or not to sue your landlord.   You can sue for damages such as medical expenses as well as loss of income. Reach out to schedule a free consultation with us today. (818)507-8525; info@KJTLawGroup.com.
#KJTLaw

Free Case Evaluation

Please prove you are human by selecting the Star.

Loading the Art of Law