Getting into an accident while riding a bicycle can have devastating consequences. You could sustain major injuries if struck by a motor vehicle. After getting hurt, you might deal with high medical bills or lost income. In addition, the liable party’s insurance company might try to settle quickly and offer you a lower offer than you deserve.
A Los Angeles bike accident attorney can protect you from the insurance company’s tactics. We can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf so you can recover the maximum amount of compensation. Contact our firm at (818) 507-8525 for a free consultation. During the consultation, we can discuss the details of your case and the best way to move forward.
How Can a Los Angeles Bike Accident Lawyer Help After a Bike Accident?
Our bike accident attorneys understand how disastrous bike accident injuries can be. That’s why we work tirelessly to help our clients recover compensation for their losses. Your lawyer could:
- Handle communications with insurance companies and other parties involved on your behalf
- Provide you with frequent status updates on your case
- Advocate for you to receive the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries
- Offer full legal services in English, Spanish, or Armenian
We can provide the personalized care and support you need throughout the claims process. Our attorneys can negotiate with opposing counsel to reach a fair settlement. If a settlement can’t be reached, we can represent you in court.
You Could Recover Damages After a Bicycle Accident
You could recover damages if you prove the other party is liable for your injuries. Damages are monetary compensation the responsible party owes to the victim for the harm they caused. You could recover economic and non-economic damages in a bicycle accident case.
Economic damages are the monetary losses you sustained after a bicycle accident. Because bicycle accidents can cause severe injuries, you could have substantial damages, including:
- Medical bills for any out-of-pocket medical costs you paid, including emergency room services, surgeries, hospitalizations, doctor’s visits, and medications.
- Future medical bills if your injuries require further treatment.
- Lost income if you miss work while getting treatment for your injuries or future income if you can’t return to work.
- Diminished earning capacity if you can’t return to work in the same capacity.
- Property damage if your bicycle or other property was damaged in the accident
Non-economic damages compensate the bicycle accident victim for the physical and emotional pain the accident caused, and could include:
- Pain and suffering damages if you suffered from physical pain, anguish, and discomfort.
- Emotional distress damages if the accident caused negative psychological issues such as anxiety or post-traumatic stress disorder.
Types of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents occur for many reasons. Types of bicycle accidents that are more common include:
- Car door accidents
- Riding against traffic
- Exiting from a driveway
- A vehicle driver overtaking a bicyclist
- A driver making a left-hand turn
Regardless of how your bicycle accident occurred, we can help. Our attorneys at KJT Law Group have handled many bicycle accident cases and know how to prove liability.
Common Injuries Bicycle Accident Victims Sustain
Because of the lack of protective barriers surrounding bicyclists, injuries are typically severe. Common injuries bicycle accident victims sustain include:
- Facial injuries such as damage to the eyes, teeth, or nose
- Rib fractures
- Ruptured spleen
- Pancreatic trauma
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Wearing a helmet is crucial when riding a bicycle. It could save you from a traumatic brain injury.
Proving Liability After a Bicycle Accident
You can only recover damages if you can prove the other party caused your injuries. Your attorneys could build a case to prove liability by:
- Reviewing the police report
- Talking to eyewitnesses
- Analyzing photographic evidence from the scene
- Consulting with experts
- Reviewing your medical records to determine the severity of your injuries
In most cases, you must prove the other party acted negligently, and their negligence caused your injuries. We can develop a solid case strategy to prove the other party was negligent.
The Elements of Negligence
To recover compensation, you must show the other party fulfilled all elements of negligence, including:
- They owed you a duty of care
- They breached their duty
- The breach of duty caused your injuries
- You sustained damages such as medical bills, lost income, or emotional distress because of your injuries
What Rights Does a Bicycle Rider Have in Los Angeles?
According to Los Angeles County Public Works, bicycle riders have the same rights and responsibilities on the road as motorists. Because of this, motorists must look out for bicycle riders when driving. If bicyclists are riding slower than the normal traffic flow, they must ride their bikes as close to the right side of the lane as possible.
Bicyclists can ride on freeways, streets, and bike lanes unless it is specifically prohibited, but they cannot ride on the sidewalks unless otherwise specified.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), bicycle accidents account for the following in the United States:
- 1.2 million doctors’ visits
- 580,000 emergency room visits
- Over 20,000 hospital admissions
- 900 deaths
Since 2016, 36 deaths have occurred yearly from bicycle accidents in the Los Angeles area.
Contact a Bicycle Accident Attorney in Los Angeles Today
If you have sustained severe injuries in a bicycle accident, a Los Angeles personal injury attorney can help. We have handled many bicycle accident cases and know the effective negotiating tactics with insurance companies. In addition, our attorneys can handle all communications on your behalf regarding your accident, so your only focus is on recovering. Contact our law firm today at (818) 507-8525. When you come in for a consultation, we can discuss your legal options and next steps moving forward.
If you or someone you love was injured due to another person’s negligence, contact KJT Law Group at (818) 507-8525 for a free consultation to discuss your legal rights and options.