According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), around 7,000 children in the United States die due to injuries, translating to around 20 children deaths per day. Children’s injuries from accidents are often severe because they are unable to protect themselves as well as adults do.
A child may suffer internal injuries or even brain damage due to an accident which can mean life-long disabilities and potentially ruinous medical bills. The good news is that the damages may be able to be paid off with money from a settlement against someone responsible for causing the accident that led to your child’s injuries.
A Los Angeles child injury attorney will ensure that the responsible party is held accountable for their actions and help to protect your child’s rights.
Examples of Child Injuries in Los Angeles
Children can be more at risk because they are still learning how to navigate the world around them. Children suffer various injuries; many children will have broken bones at some point in their life.
Broken bones may occur due to an accident involving a vehicle or heavy equipment – farm machinery or construction equipment. Children may also sustain broken bones while playing sports or participating in physical activities like gymnastics. Additional common injuries in children include:
- Eye injuries
- Burns and scalds
- Lacerations and Cuts
- Nerve Injuries
- Traumatic head damage
- Wrongful death
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Injuries to a child may not always be obvious at first glance. Small bumps and bruises may be overlooked. However, these minor injuries could cause further complications if left untreated.
If you suspect that your child has suffered an injury, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. A personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles can help ensure that your child’s rights are protected while recovering from their injury.
When Do Child Injuries Occur?
Child injuries can occur anywhere for various reasons. The most common causes of child injuries include:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Car crashes are among the leading cause of child injuries in children ages 1 to 19 years old.
- Injuries from falls and playground equipment: Children often fall downstairs or off furniture, or they get hurt on playground equipment that is not properly maintained or not age-appropriate.
- Hazardous play environments: Children who live in homes with unsafe conditions have an increased risk of being injured in fires and falls, and other types of accidents.
- Drowning: Many child injuries occur due to drowning – drowning can occur in bathtubs and swimming pools, or other bodies of water.
- Poisoning: Children are curious and may swallow/play with medicines left within their reach, causing injuries.
- Suffocation (for example, choking on food): Choking can occur when a child swallows something that gets lodged in the throat or windpipe, causing swelling and blockage of airflow into the lungs.
- Medical malpractice: There have been instances where doctors have failed to provide adequate medical treatment for children, resulting in injuries.
- Use of defective products: The use of defective products like baby carriers can cause serious injuries due to not meeting safety standards for children.
The following parties could be held liable for your child’s injury:
- Property owner: If your child was injured because of dangerous property conditions, such as broken glass or an uneven sidewalk, the property owner might be liable for damages.
- Driver: The driver of a car or other vehicle has a duty to drive safely on public roads. A negligent driver may be responsible for the resulting injuries.
- Doctor/Health institution: Doctors and hospitals may be held liable for any injuries suffered by their patients as a result of their negligence.
- Manufacturers of a defective product: Manufacturers are responsible for ensuring that their products are safe or they could be held responsible for child injuries due to product defects.
Determining liability for your child’s injury may not be an easy process. However, a personal injury in Los Angeles can help you determine who is liable.
Parental Liability Law in California
Under California’s Parental Liability law, parents can be held liable for their children’s negligence – and even intentional acts that cause injuries.
Parental Liability for a Minor’s “Willful Misconduct”
Under California Civil Code section 1714, parents are liable for any injuries their minors cause to others when they engage in willful misconduct. To be found liable, the parent must have known about the child’s propensity for engaging in dangerous behavior and failed to take reasonable steps to prevent it from happening again.
Parental Liability for a Minor’s Driving
Under California Vehicle Civil Code section 17708, parents can also be held liable for their children’s driving accidents – when a parent has permitted them to operate a motor vehicle on public roadways. This law applies even if the parent is not present at the time of the accident and hasn’t given permission directly to their child!
Why Hire a Los Angeles Child Injury Lawyer?
Child injury can be devastating for a family and a traumatic experience for the child. The parents will likely want to seek legal advice from a child injury lawyer. First and foremost, you need to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive fair compensation for the injuries your child has suffered.
An attorney will help you navigate the legal system and make sure that everything is handled in accordance with the law. When you hire an attorney, they will take the responsibilities related to filing a lawsuit against the responsible party.
This includes researching the law, figuring out what damages you should receive, and working with insurance companies on your behalf. You will probably have many questions about what happened and how it will affect your child onwards. A lawyer can help answer these questions while also helping you get through them emotionally.
Your lawyer will make sure that all deadlines are met according to the California statute of limitations – so that every step of the process goes smoothly. A child injury lawyer will provide legal guidance and representation throughout your case so that you can focus on getting your child better.
Consult a Lawyer for Your Child Injury Case
If your child was injured due to the negligence or carelessness of another person, it’s important that you consult with a lawyer as soon as possible. KJT Law Group will help you determine and protect your child’s legal rights under the law so that you can seek compensation for the damages.
Call us today at (818) 507-8525 to schedule your appointment!
Get started with a free initial consultation; call (818) 507-8525 or contact us online. Hablamos español
The Opinions That Matter Most
Read Our Client’s 5-Star Reviews
The staff is courteous, professional, and highly skilled
“Vaché handled every detail of my car accident case, he arranged the best medical care possible, recovered all losses and secured a generous settlement. This is by far my best experience! Thank you KJT!”
I couldn’t be happier with the KJT law firm
“Both Caspar and Vache were exceptional and professional. I have no doubt that they fought hard in my behalf.”
I found KJT Law Group online and I couldn’t be happier with their results.
“hese guys know what they are doing and they respect their clients!”
This law firm is the best!!!
“Trust is one of the most important factors when working with a law firm, and I didn’t have much trust in my previous law firm due to lack of communication. That’s why I decided to switch to KJT Law Group, and I never regretted my choice. They w”
My case settled for more than I ever expected!
“These guys know their stuff. I would definitely recommend their services!!!”
Best sound advice that you can ever get
“KJT Law Group will not make you waste your money while other lawyers will simply try to get you into their office to make some cash.”
Fighting for Injured Clients Across the Greater LA Area
Our Los Angeles auto accident lawyers are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We provide legal services in English, Spanish, and Armenian and offer contingency fees. This means you do not owe any upfront or out-of-pocket expenses but, instead, only pay attorney fees if/when we win your case.
At KJT Law Group, we prioritize transparency, communication, and client service and will be there to provide the personalized legal representation you need every step of the way. We draw on an extensive background in activism and social justice when fighting for the rights of our clients, and we are not afraid to try cases in court whenever necessary.
We provide legal services in English, Spanish, and Armenian. Request a free consultation today by calling us at (818) 507-8525 or by submitting an online contact form.