Rideshare services have transformed the transportation industry. These companies have made ride services more affordable and convenient for everyday use. Unfortunately, more rideshare use has led to more rideshare accidents. Uber and Lyft accidents are more complicated than your typical car accident and offer unique challenges you may not know how to navigate on your own.
If you’ve been injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, call a Los Angeles Uber and Lyft accident attorney from KJT Law Group at (818) 507-8525. Our lawyers can guide you through the legal process and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Our Attorneys Can Help You After a Rideshare Accident
Our firm’s Uber and Lyft accident attorneys have handled many rideshare accident cases, allowing us to hone the skills and knowledge needed to negotiate with insurance companies. Insurance companies will try to get you to accept a lower offer than you deserve. We can fight on your behalf for the maximum amount of compensation.
Our attorneys can help you after a rideshare accident by:
- Investigating the cause of the accident
- Determining who is liable
- Negotiating with insurance companies for a fair settlement
- Representing you in a trial if a settlement can’t be reached out of court
Your attorney can make you a priority, keeping you updated on any developments in your case. In addition, we offer our legal services in English, Spanish, and Armenian.
We Can Help You Recover Damages
You could seek damages if you sustained injuries in a rideshare accident. Damages are monetary compensation someone owes someone else for harming them. After a rideshare accident, you could pursue:
- Current and future medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
If your loved one passed away in an Uber or Lyft accident, we first want to extend our sincerest condolences. Losing a loved one suddenly is tragic. Although monetary compensation can’t bring your loved one back, it can help ease the financial strain their loss has put on your family. Damages you could pursue include:
- Final medical expenses
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
A Los Angeles Uber and Lyft accident attorney from KJT Law Group can assess your damages to determine the value of your case.
Common Injuries Rideshare Passengers Sustain
After a rideshare accident, passengers and people in other vehicles can sustain various injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries
Regardless of the type of injury, our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys can help you pursue compensation for your losses.
Who is Liable For a Rideshare Accident
Liability is determined based on who is at fault for the rideshare accident. The following scenarios describe who is liable and whose insurance would pay in each situation:
- If the driver of a third-party vehicle is liable for the accident, their insurance coverage will cover the damages.
- If the rideshare driver is at fault and doesn’t have the app turned on or is not on their way to pick up a passenger, their insurance coverage will pay for the accident.
- If the Uber or Lyft driver is at fault and is on their way to pick up a passenger or has a passenger in their vehicle, their insurance covers the damages up to their policy limit. Once the damages exceed the rideshare driver’s policy limit, Uber or Lyft’s insurance will cover the damages up to their policy limits.
Uber and Lyft Accidents are Different Than Car Accidents
Uber and Lyft accidents differ from typical car accidents because of the complexity of who is liable. Determining liability is difficult since rideshare drivers aren’t employees of the company.
Uber and Lyft Offer Insurance For Their Drivers
Both Uber and Lyft have insurance requirements for their rideshare drivers.
The Three Periods of a Rideshare Driver
Liability for an Uber or Lyft accident can depend on what period the driver is in at the time of the accident. Uber and Lyft driving time is split up into three periods:
- Period 1: The driver turns the app on but hasn’t accepted a ride
- Period 2: The driver has accepted a ride and is on the way to pick up the rider
- Period 3: There is a passenger in the car
Lyft and Uber Insurance Coverage By Period
- Period 1: Here Uber and Lyft only offer liability coverage. This includes $50,000 bodily injury per person, $100,000 bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 property damage per accident.
- Periods 2 and 3: Uber and Lyft offer liability coverage of $1 million per incident. They provide comprehensive collision coverage up to the value of your car if you also have comprehensive collision coverage on your personal policy.
Steps to Take After an Uber or Lyft Accident
After an Uber or Lyft accident, there are steps you can take to protect yourself if you choose to file a claim:
- Call the police and stay on the scene
- Take pictures of the damage to all vehicles and your injuries
- Gather contact and insurance information from all parties involved
- Identify witnesses
- Seek medical attention
If you choose to hire a Los Angeles Uber and Lyft attorney, you can reach our firm right from the accident site.
Uber and Lyft Accident Statistics
The rate of Uber and Lyft accidents is continuously rising. Some accident statistics include:
- 37,400 people died in Uber accidents in 2016 alone
- Accidents at drop-off and pickup locations are rising
- 90% of Uber and Lyft accidents occur in urban areas
California law is constantly evolving when it comes to rideshares. However, our attorneys consistently keep up to date on current laws to accurately help you with your case.
Contact KJT Law Group For a Free Case Evaluation
Uber and Lyft accidents are complicated matters. An attorney who has handled these cases can help you pursue a fair settlement. CCP § 335.1 states that in California you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the liable party. Our attorneys can ensure you don’t miss any deadlines. Contact us today at (818) 507-8525 for a free case review.
If you or someone you love was injured due to another person’s negligence, contact KJT Law Group at (818) 507-8525 for a free consultation to discuss your legal rights and options.