Buses are a common sight across Southern California, from LA’s Metro public transit to Greyhound, Megabus, and even children’s school buses. Unfortunately, bus accidents are also common on SoCal’s busy roadways, and such accidents can cause significant injury to people both on and off the bus.
If you or a loved one have suffered a severe injury in a bus accident, a Southern California bus accident lawyer at KJT Law Group can pursue compensation for your losses from the responsible party.
Our Attorneys Can Help You After a Southern California Bus Accident
When you or your loved one is recovering from a severe injury due to a bus accident, you need time and space to focus on your health. A bus accident lawyer in Southern California can help you navigate complicated California injury laws so you can seek the compensation you deserve.
The Los Angeles personal injury attorneys at KJT Law Group have recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for accident victims across Southern California, including:
- $16 million for a family injured in a car accident
- $3 million for a commercial truck accident
- $2.8 million for a rear-end accident caused by a garbage truck
No matter the size of your case, our legal team at KJT Law Group offers compassionate, personalized representation to ensure that you have the best chance for a fair settlement. Since 2014, we have protected the rights of ordinary injury victims against companies and insurance carriers both large and small.
Bus Accidents Can Occur on Any Southern California Road
Southern California roads present many hazards, especially to top-heavy and unwieldy buses. An inattentive bus driver or distracted third party can easily cause a severe bus accident that injures dozens of people. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), approximately 232 fatal bus crashes occurred in 2019 alone. Of these, 73% involved a school bus or transit bus.
Causes of Bus Accidents in Southern California
Some of the most common causes of bus accidents include:
- Inattentive or distracted driving, such as driving while texting
- Reckless driving, such as tailgating, weaving between lanes, passing too closely, or passing on the right
- Speeding or driving aggressively
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Disobeying traffic signals and signs
- Inclement weather, especially heavy monsoon rains that can cause vehicles to slip or hydroplane
- Poor road conditions, such as construction or road work
Even the most cautious driver can be caught in an accident through no fault of their own. If you or someone you love was injured in a bus crash in Southern California, whether as a passenger, driver, or third party, you may be able to seek compensation for your injuries.
Common Injuries We See in Southern California Bus Accidents
Buses are large, heavy, and difficult to maneuver in the best of conditions. When they hit passenger cars, pedestrians, or bikers, buses can cause significant damage to the other parties involved. Bus passengers can be injured when the bus comes to a sudden stop, especially since most buses do not have seat belts. If the bus impacts a solid object such as another vehicle, a guardrail, or a wall, the resultant injuries to unsecured passengers can be much more severe.
Injuries you could sustain in a Southern California bus accident include:
While some bus accident injuries can resolve over a few weeks or months with proper treatment, some injuries are severe enough to affect the victim for the rest of their life. Traumatic brain injuries (TBI), for example, can cause debilitating pain, motor skill reduction, loss of cognitive ability, and chronic disability.
If you or a loved one sustained a catastrophic injury in a bus accident due to someone else’s actions, you should not have to pay for the resulting injuries. The Los Angeles personal injury attorneys at KJT Law can guide you through the legal process and help you pursue compensation for the damages you sustained.
Proving Liability in a California Bus Accident
The first step in any injury case is establishing who is at fault. While some cases may seem clear-cut, establishing liability is rarely so simple. To file a lawsuit against the at-fault party in a Southern California bus accident, you must be able to show that:
- The responsible party had a duty of care. For example, the driver of a school bus must drive safely and ensure the security of the passengers and people sharing the road.
- The responsible party failed in that duty of care. For instance, the school bus driver was speeding during inclement weather.
- The responsible party’s violation of the duty of care caused an accident. The speeding bus driver, for example, could be held liable if their speeding caused them to lose control of the bus and cause an accident.
- This accident directly resulted in the injuries you or your loved one suffered. For example, the school bus may have crashed while speeding in inclement weather and caused injuries to students on the bus or other nearby individuals.
Defining Negligence Under California Law
California Civil Code § 1714 defines negligence as uncaring or willful acts or lack of action that resulted in a breach of the duty of care. California law allows all parties involved in the accident to recover damages, even if they are mostly at fault for the accident.
Who is at Fault in a California Bus Crash?
There can be multiple liable parties in a bus accident in Southern California. In our example, the bus driver may have driven negligently, but the bus company could be held responsible if they hired the bus driver without properly vetting them for the position. Parties that could be held accountable for a bus collision include:
- The bus driver
- The company or entity that owns the bus
- The company or entity responsible for bus maintenance and repairs
- The manufacturer or distributor of faulty bus components
- The entity responsible for road maintenance and repairs
- A bus passenger who was disruptive or distracting
- A construction or utility company that obstructed the road or created dangerous road conditions
- A third-party driver or other parties who violated traffic laws or acted negligently
A Southern California bus accident attorney can help you determine who is at fault for your bus accident injury. The legal team at KJT Law Group can collect evidence to establish fault and help you pursue compensation from all the at-fault parties and their insurance companies, to fight for your fair settlement.
Compensation You Can Seek After a Bus Accident in Southern California
When you are injured in a bus accident, your injuries are more than just physical in nature. The effects of a bus accident can affect every aspect of your life, including your emotional, psychological, and financial health.
Fortunately, California law allows injury victims to seek compensation from the responsible party for both economic and non-economic damages they suffered. For your bus accident claim, these damages could include:
- Medical bills, including hospital and surgery costs, medical equipment, medication, and visiting nurses
- Pain and Suffering, both physical and psychological
- Emotional and mental distress
- Psychological therapy for trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Lost and reduced income due to inability to work
- Career changes, education, and vocational rehabilitation
- Remodeling and other changes to accommodate chronic disability and reduced mobility
- Loss of enjoyment, such as the inability to participate in activities or hobbies you once enjoyed
- Reduced quality of life
Our Southern California lawyers in Los Angeles can review your case and gather the necessary documentation to establish your claim’s value. With this information, we can aggressively pursue fair compensation for your losses. While we can’t guarantee a specific outcome, we can use the abundant resources at our disposal to fight for your maximum settlement value.
Wrongful Death Due to a Southern California Bus Accident
If you lost a loved one in a bus accident, we extend our sincere condolences. Our Southern California wrongful death attorneys can help you seek compensation for your loss in a wrongful death claim. Although we know that money cannot bring back your loved one, a wrongful death settlement could help ease the financial burden associated with your loss, including funeral and burial expenses, final hospital bills, loss of support, and loss of companionship.
Contact a Southern California Bus Accident Lawyer at KJT Law Group
If you or someone you love suffered a severe injury as a result of a bus accident in Southern California, you may be eligible for compensation. A Los Angeles personal injury attorney at KJT Law Group can provide you with a confidential, comprehensive case review at no cost to you. Reach out to our team today for your free consultation or call us at (818) 507-8525.