Child Injury Attorney in Southern California
Filing a Personal Injury Claim in California
can result from car accidents, school injuries, or even slip and fall injuries in malls. These injuries can lead to long-term health conditions that require the victims, especially younger ones, to have extensive medical treatment.
Fortunately, there are laws that can help victims of these types of accidents to take back their lives. A personal injury attorney can help you to receive compensation for your child’s injuries and medical expenses. At KJT Law Group in Southern California, we have child injury lawyers who can evaluate your case to help you seek compensation.
What are Common Examples of Child Injuries?
There are a variety of situations in which child injuries can occur. The most common include the following:
- Car Accidents: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that almost 700 children die yearly in car accidents. It is the leading cause of death for children. The report further notes that there were 91,000 child injuries attributed to road accidents. When a child is injured in a car accident, it is essential to know whether it was the driver’s fault. The driver may have been negligent in some way, such as by driving too fast or failing to yield the right of way.
- Bicycle Accidents: According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), nearly 30 children were fatally injured while riding their bicycles in 2020. These accidents often occur because parents do not adequately supervise their children when riding bikes or because drivers fail to exercise caution around cyclists. When a child is injured after being struck by an automobile while riding a bike, it may be possible for them to seek compensation from that driver or from the owner of the property where they were riding their bike at the time of their accident.
- Animal Attacks: If an animal has attacked you while at home or out in public, you may be able to pursue compensation against someone responsible for keeping that animal from harming others. This could include taking legal action against someone who owned an animal that attacked you or someone responsible for keeping an animal contained on their property. According to the CDC, dogs are the most common animals to attack children in 2001, with approximately 154,625 children being treated for dog bite-related injuries.
Other common situations where child injuries can occur include:
- Slip and fall accidents on slippery floors
- Negligence in school settings and other institutions where children are present
- Faulty staircases
Individuals who have been injured might decide to contact a personal injury lawyer in Southern California immediately to protect their rights. After a severe injury, you will want to focus on your child’s recovery, not on how you will pay for medical bills or lost wages. A personal injury attorney can help you receive compensation for your child’s injuries to focus on ensuring that your child gets better.
Possible Liabilities for Child Injuries
The first thing you will need to establish when trying to prove that someone else was negligent and caused your child’s injuries is causation. You will need to prove that the defendant’s actions caused the accident and, more importantly, caused your child’s injuries. The following are some examples of situations where another person might cause the victim’s injuries:
- If a child is injured in a car accident, the vehicle’s driver or owner may be held liable for the child’s injuries. The driver may be liable for failing to exercise reasonable care while driving or for failing to pay proper attention to roadway conditions. If another driver was intoxicated, that person could also be held liable for causing an accident that injured a child.
- If a child is injured by another person, such as in a fight or an aggressive dog, the other person may be liable for causing those injuries. However, when one person causes an injury to another person as a result of their negligence and that other person is at fault, both persons could be held responsible for causing harm to each other. For example:
- If two children were arguing about who should get on their school bus first and one child pushed his friend off the bus steps resulting in injuries from which that friend never fully recovered. In that case, both children might share liability for the injuries suffered because both were engaged in the brawl.
Why Hire Our Child Injury Attorneys?
Our firm has a proven record in handling personal injury matters. We know that this is not the time for you to deal with insurance companies and legal issues on your own. This is the time for you to be focusing on your child getting better. We will take care of your injury claims, including child injury, dog bite, car accident, motorcycle accident, slip and fall injury, and wrongful death claims.
If your child was hurt in an accident or was injured due to someone else’s negligence, then it is crucial to talk with a personal injury attorney about what to do next. We will work hard on your behalf to receive the compensation you deserve for your damages and injuries.
What is the Statute of Limitations in California?
California law has a statute of limitations that governs the time you can file a personal injury case. The statute of limitations for child injuries in California is two years from the child’s injury date.
Getting in touch with a personal injury attorney immediately after your accident is essential to avoid your matter being time-barred. This allows us to dedicate our time and resources to your case. We will work on your behalf to ensure that you are appropriately compensated for your injuries and damages.
Contact KJT Law Group Today
Child injuries are common and can have a long-term impact on children, their families, and the community. Our firm can help you with your child’s injury claim and assist you in receiving the compensation you deserve for your child’s injuries. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries due to negligence and would like to discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer, please feel free to contact our office.
Do not hesitate to call us today at (818) 507-8525 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.
If you or someone you love was injured due to another person’s negligence, contact KJT Law Group at (818) 507-8525 for a free consultation to discuss your legal rights and options.
Slip & Fall Injuries
We Will Fight For You
Start Recovering Today
Contact our firm to get started.