Los Angeles Flood Damage Lawyers

Read before you sign

A rental agreement between a landlord and a tenant should set out the rules in terms of how water damage to a property should be handled.

It is important to understand what your lease says about water damage. It might specify that the landlord can evict you in the case of total or partial water damage. On the other hand, you can reserve the right to cancel your lease if extensive repairs will be needed to repair water damage. If the damages are too minor, however, usually you won’t be able to cancel your lease.

Schedule a complimentary case evaluation with our team today; call (818) 507-8525 or contact us online to get started.

The landlord should repair

According to the California Civil Code, a landlord is responsible to repair any problem on a property and provide his tenants with habitable living conditions. This also includes damage by water and flood.

A water-damaged property should be covered by the landlord’s property insurance. But, it would depend on whose fault it is. If the tenant is at fault, his renter’s insurance should pay up.

My landlord doesn’t complete repairs

Serious water damage can cause health problems if not acted upon quickly. What can a tenant do?

  • Repair and deduct

A tenant is allowed to deduct one month’s rent to pay for repairs in a rental unit if conditions are inhabitable and are affecting their health or safety.

Don’t just start making repairs yourself. Contact us to discuss the situation. Your landlord might try to file a lawsuit against you due to the non-payment of rent. You would need to go through the proper procedure before choosing this remedy.

  • Withhold rent

This is a method to force your landlord to address the problem quickly. Do not spend your extra money! You should keep the rental payments separate until the issue is resolved. Speak to us before you choose to withhold rent.

  • Abandon the unit

The flood or water damage is extensive and would need more than just one month to repair. You are allowed to move out. Again, it might be wise to contact an experienced attorney to advise you.

Looking for advice? We can help with your water or flood issues and help you fight for your rights if your landlord is not doing timely repairs.

We provide legal services in English, Spanish, and Armenian. Request a free consultation today by calling us at (818) 507-8525 or by submitting an online contact form.

The Opinions That Matter Most

Read Our Client’s 5-Star Reviews

left quote icon
Working with KJT Law Group has always exceeded our expectations.

“Caspar is knowledgeable and goes above and beyond to clearly explain the law and my rights.”

- Khosrof O.
left quote icon

A vibrant group of young, hard working and highly qualified attorneys who provide excellent representation for their clients.

“I recommend this firm and its attorneys with no reservations, as am confident that each of them consistently go above and beyond for their clients.”

- Marianna P.
left quote icon

Honest and didn’t sugar coat anything.

“KJT Law Group was amazing. If ever you need a lawyer, I highly recommend KJT Law Group.”

- Rochelle C.
left quote icon

I found KJT Law Group online and I couldn’t be happier with their results.

“these guys know what they are doing and they respect their clients!”

- Jacob K.
left quote icon
My case settled for more than I ever expected!

“These guys know their stuff. I would definitely recommend their services!!!”

- Aren B.
left quote icon
If anyone is looking for a Personal Injury attorney who truly cares about you, look no further!

“The hard work and quick results he got for me was totally incredible. Thank you so much Caspar!”

- Frances S.

You’re Hurt.
We’re Here.

We provide legal services in English, Spanish, and Armenian. Request a free consultation today by calling us at (818) 507-8525 or by submitting an online contact form.

We Will Fight For You

Start Recovering Today

Contact our firm to get started.

What Sets Us Apart

Work Directly With Your Attorney

We Make You Our Priority

Millions Recovered For Our Clients

Services Offered In Spanish & Armenian

Aggressive, Experienced, and Compassionate Counsel