If you sustain an injury on the job, you can apply for workers’ compensation benefits through your employer. In many cases, you can easily get the medical treatment you need. However, sometimes the insurance company doesn’t authorize the treatment. If this happens, you could have to pay out of pocket.
The best way to deal with treatment authorization issues in a workers’ compensation case is to speak with a lawyer who handles these types of cases. They can fight for you to receive the medical care you deserve after sustaining an injury at work.
What is Medical Treatment Authorization in a Workers’ Compensation Case?
If you’re hurt on the job, your injuries could require extensive medical attention. For medical professionals to make a diagnosis, you could have to undergo a series of diagnostic tests (including x-rays, MRIs, and CT scans) or even see a specialist for further treatment.
All of these tests and procedures could cost money out of pocket if the workers’ compensation insurance or your employer refuses to authorize the treatments.
How Can an Attorney Help Me Deal with Treatment Authorization Issues?
When dealing with treatment authorization issues in a workers’ compensation case, it’s wise to seek the help of an attorney. They can help you navigate the complicated legal issues involved and fight for you to get authorization for the medical treatment you need.
Once you start working with an attorney, they can:
- Help you gather the documentation proving these treatments are necessary.
- Demand that the insurance company authorizes the diagnostic testing and treatments you need.
- Represent you and provide support throughout any hearings, advocating for your ability to receive treatment authorization.
Attorneys know the steps to take to help you get authorization so you can get the medical care you need.
Reasons Insurance Denies Medical Treatment Authorization
The laws surrounding workers’ compensation and authorization to get medical treatment can be complicated. An attorney can help you navigate any complications that arise and explain why you aren’t receiving authorization for the medical treatment you seek.
Common reasons for a denial of treatment authorization include:
- There are disputes as to whether the injury is work-related. Your employer could argue that you didn’t sustain the injury at work and that it happened elsewhere. They could also claim that the injuries you’re seeking treatment for aren’t the same injuries you sustained at work.
- The injury you sustained doesn’t meet state guidelines. Each state has guidelines that state the workers’ compensation benefits someone could receive. Insurance companies could insist that they aren’t required to authorize your medical treatment.
- You filed the claim after leaving the job where you sustained the injury. If you quit the job or got fired and file the claim afterward, the insurance company could refuse to authorize any medical treatments you need.
Regardless of why the workers’ compensation insurance company refused to authorize medical treatments, an attorney can help. They can take the necessary steps to fight for you to receive the medical care you need. In addition, they can handle all of the legal tasks and paperwork so you can focus on recovering from your injury.
How to Maximize Your Chances of Receiving Medical Treatment Authorization
To receive the medical treatment you need, you must provide solid evidence indicating you need the treatment, especially if there are issues getting authorization. A workers’ compensation attorney can help tremendously when building a case.
Attorneys know how to build strong cases so their clients can receive the workers’ compensation benefits they need. Taking the following steps could help you receive the medical treatment authorization you need:
- Immediately report the accident to your employer. Fill out an accident report as soon as you can and request a copy. You may also have to see a doctor approved by the workers’ compensation insurance company.
- Get medical treatment as soon as possible. When you seek immediate medical attention, you have a better chance of proving your injuries are related to the workplace accident. You can also show that you took the necessary steps to ensure the injury didn’t worsen.
- Gather evidence that could help prove how you sustained injuries. Take photos or videos of your injuries, the scene, and anything related to the accident. On top of photographic evidence, keep your copy of the accident report and any medical documentation. Get a statement and contact information from anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Contact a workers’ compensation attorney. They can get to work immediately and investigate your accident’s circumstances. Attorneys can also help to prove you require the medical treatment you seek.
You have a limited time to boost your chances of receiving workers’ compensation benefits. A Los Angeles workers compensation lawyer can help you hold the liable party accountable if you sustained an injury because of a dangerous work environment, and can help you file everything on time.
Contact a Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today
If you sustained an injury at work and need more information on how to deal with treatment authorization in a workers’ compensation case, an attorney can help. They can provide valuable guidance and help you move forward and get the treatment you need to recover from your injuries. At KJT law group, we can provide the strong legal counsel you need and fight for you to get necessary medical treatments authorized.
Contact us online or call our office at (818) 507-8525 today to schedule a free consultation with a member of our legal team. During the consultation, we can go over your options and explain how we can help you. We are passionate about standing up for the rights of people who have sustained injuries at work. Our legal team can work tirelessly to help you get the medical care you need.