Countless claimants deal with this dilemma. After suffering an injury, they don’t want to deal with the insurance companies, so they decide to partner with a lawyer. Yet, after typing in “personal injury attorney” into Google, they’re confronted with millions upon millions of options, each law firm claiming to be the best. How could anyone tell the settlement mills apart from the boots-on-the-ground law offices?
Below, we’ve compiled some tips that could help you in choosing an attorney for your specific case representation. If you’re ever at a crossroads about your next steps, this list may help you find an attorney you feel comfortable working with. It’s also helpful to know that most law firms will offer free case reviews. During your case assessment, you can learn about their experience with personal injury law, meet their legal team, and set your case in motion––all without paying out of pocket for legal services.
Ways to Find a Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Case
There’s no right or wrong way to find a potential lawyer who can handle your case. Obviously, you want to find a lawyer with a good track record of recovering fair settlements. There are some routes to save time and frustration. You could find an attorney who’s right for you by:
Searching Online for an Attorney in Your Area
In the digital age, the internet’s your best friend for connecting with a potential attorney in your area. While conducting your search, look for:
- Positive reviews. Not only does Google host reviews, but other websites (like Avvo) also allow former clients to share their experience working with a lawyer. While five-star reviews are a great indicator of success, you should read less-than-ideal ones, too. If you notice similar complaints among low reviews, you may want to steer clear of a particular firm.
- Accolades. The legal community recognizes attorneys who go above and beyond the call of duty when serving their clients. You may want a personal injury firm that garners positive attention from its peers. See if they are in good standing with their bar association.
You’re not limited to Googling your options. You could also find recommendations on apps like Facebook, Nextdoor, and Instagram.
Asking Friends and Family for Recommendations
You might know someone who worked with a personal injury attorney and had a good experience. This is also your opportunity to ask some questions, such as:
- How did your lawyer communicate updates about your case?
- What services did your lawyer offer?
- Would you work with this attorney again?
- How much did working with this particular law firm cost?
Word of mouth is how many law firms establish themselves.
Partaking in a Free Claim Review
You’re in a rough spot financially after suffering a negligence-related injury. You want to conserve your money to pay medical bills, rent, and other obligations. So, if you meet an attorney who wants to charge for a case review, think twice about their motives. They should know better than to add the cost of a consultation to your financial worries.
Many law firms offer free consultations where, at no obligation, you can explore your options and learn whether a particular attorney is right for you.
You Want a Personal Injury Lawyer Who Focuses on Your Case’s Practice Area
Suppose you suffered injuries in a car accident. So, you don’t want a criminal defense or family law attorney to handle your case—even if they say they handle personal injury claims. You don’t want a jack of all trades to take on your case. You want someone who understands these claims inside and out.
Once you’ve found an injury firm that catches your eye, look into:
- Its case results. Successful outcomes speak a thousand words about a law firm’s ability to recover fair compensation for clients. We’ve recovered millions for injured clients, including $16 million for a family hurt in an auto accident.
- How long has it served clients. A law firm that’s operated for many years will be more experienced than a firm that just started operations.
- Its fee structure. You want a law firm that operates on a contingency fee basis, meaning it doesn’t charge clients upfront or out-of-pocket fees for its services. A law firm that starts billing you from the very beginning is a red flag.
How Long You Have to Find a Personal Injury Attorney for Your Case
The state’s statute of limitations limits how long you have to file a lawsuit after suffering a personal injury. In California, per CCP § 335.1, you have just two years to sue the negligent party. To have the strongest possible case, you should consider your legal options well before this period expires. After all, you want to give your legal team ample time to build and file your claim.
Securing prompt legal representation also allows your lawyer to gather time-sensitive evidence, such as traffic camera footage and eyewitness testimony. Wait too long, and these items could become unavailable, hurting your case’s outcome.
Find a Personal Injury Attorney for Your Case With KJT Law Group
KJT Law Group offers free initial consultation where you can meet our team and set your personal injury case in motion. During our conversation, feel free to ask questions about the claims process and what you can expect from working with our team. Plus, we offer our services on a contingency basis. Call (818) 507-8525 to get started.