Hablamos Español

Close this search box.

Are you being Short Changed for Your Overtime Pay?

Overtime Facts in California

“In California,  a nonexempt employee 18 years of age or older, shall not be employed more than eight hours in any workday or more than 40 hours in any workweek unless he or she receives one and one-half times his or her regular rate of pay for all hours worked over eight hours in any workday and over 40 hours in the workweek. Eight hours of labor constitutes a day’s work, and employment beyond eight hours in any workday or more than six days in any workweek requires the employee to be compensated for the overtime at not less than:

  1. One and one-half times the employee’s regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of eight hours up to and including 12 hours in any workday, and for the first eight hours worked on the seventh consecutive day of work in a workweek; and
  2. Double the employee’s regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 12 hours in any workday and for all hours worked in excess of eight on the seventh consecutive day of work in a workweek.”

Is your Paycheck right?

If you think your paycheck looks short, you might be right. Never assume that your employer always gets it right.

It is common knowledge that businesses and organizations of every size by either accident or design underpay workers by significant amounts. And it’s not just low-wage workers that are  underpaid, workers up and down the pay scale are affected.

First, be certain that the hourly you are being paid is what you agreed to, Then, be certain you are being paid for all the hours you work, from;  prep time, cleanup time, any time required to put on a uniform or protective clothing at work and time to travel between job sites.

What should you do if your paycheck is wrong?

  1. Keep your own records
  2. Report any discrepancies immediately to your employer or human resources: Then ask for correction.
  3. Talk to your coworkers, for support and possible action together:  See if underpaying is a pattern of your employer.
  4. Talk to your boss, or to human resources: Approach your employer with the problem, asking for repayment immediately.
  5. Contact an attorney: If you have had no success with your employer, it is time to contact an attorney either as a group or just for yourself. The attorney will let you know the best path forward, from filing a complaint with local, state and federal agencies to suing your employer for violations.


The attorneys at KJT LAW GROUP are dedicated to assisting employees who are not being paid their legal amount of compensation. Working with a professional LA Employment lawyer who understands the complexities associated with Overtime pay and the complex Employment Laws in California will improve your chances of receiving your rightful compensation. We work hand in hand with our clients to help them achieve justice. If you are unsure of your overtime rights, let the professionals at KJT LAW GROUP help. Call us at (818) 507-8525 or contact us for a free consultation. We will go over all the facts of your case and recommend the best ways to move forward.

We Will Fight For You

Contact our firm to get started.
Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.