It is up to you to decide when you should consult a lawyer after a truck accident or if you want to hire a lawyer at all. That said, the sooner you can get an attorney’s advice, the simpler it may be for you to seek compensation and the harder it may be for the insurer to complicate your case.
Many law firms offer free, no-obligation consultations to all callers. This allows you to explore the benefits of hiring a truck accident lawyer without risking anything more than a few minutes on the phone.
Steps to Take After a Truck Accident
While it is a good idea to seek legal advice as soon as possible after a truck collision, this should not be your first concern after an accident. You can protect both yourself and your legal rights by:
- Getting your vehicle to the side of the road, if possible. Staying in the flow of traffic could lead to another accident.
- Calling 911. Tell the operator you were in an accident and need immediate assistance from the police and the EMTs. As you wait for them to arrive, help anyone else who needs it, if you can do so without endangering yourself.
- Taking photos and/or video of the scene, including your injuries and the damage to your vehicle.
- Asking the truck driver for their name, contact information, and insurance information.
- Seeing a doctor and following all of their instructions and recommendations as best you can.
When to Hire a Lawyer for a Truck Accident
Once you have taken all of the actions outlined above, it is time to start thinking about hiring a truck accident attorney. Each state only gives you so much time to take legal action following an accident—in California, for example, PCCh § 335.1 grants you three years—and you want to give your lawyer as much time as possible to build up a case.
What to Expect at a Legal Consultation After a Truck Crash
Finding the right law firm is very important. Your case might take a while to complete, so you will want to hire a legal team that you find professional, sympathetic, and comfortable to work with.
At your first consultation, you should be prepared to:
- Tell the lawyer everything you know and remember about the accident, even if you are afraid it makes you look bad
- Answer whatever questions the lawyer asks
- Ask questions of your own about how the lawyer works, whether they can go to court if necessary, and what their fee agreement looks like
- Observe the office environment and interactions between staff—do they seem friendly and respectful to each other and to you?
- Go home and think about whether to sign on with the firm—a good firm will not mind you taking a little extra time to consider such an important matter
The Benefits of Hiring a Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accident injury claims can be very complicated and stressful to deal with, even if they seem straightforward at first. On top of that, you already have enough to think about, especially if the crash resulted in the wrongful death of a loved one.
Instead of handling everything alone, you can consult a lawyer after a truck accident and let them:
- Deal with special challenges, such as if there are multiple liable parties
- Calculate how much you should ask for in compensation
- Build up your casefile with evidence from as many different sources as possible
- Communicate with all of the involved parties, including the truck driver, the trucking company, and the insurance company
- Negotiate hard for a fair amount of compensation that will cover all past and future damages
- Keep you updated on your case’s progress and address any concerns you have along the way
- Argue your case in front of a judge and jury so you do not have to appear in court every day
You Can Only Sue for a Truck Accident One Time
Once you have accepted a settlement, it would be very difficult to reopen your personal injury case for any reason. You, therefore, want to make sure you handle your case correctly the first time.
A law firm that has dealt with truck accident cases before can make sure your case goes as smoothly as possible. While no firm can guarantee any result, hiring a personal injury lawyer can help you avoid common mistakes and take the burden of accomplishing legal tasks off your shoulders.
Want to Consult Our Truck Accident Team?
It is generally a good idea to consult a lawyer right after a truck accident so you have the maximum amount of time to file your case. Call KJT Grupo de Derecho hoy al (818) 507-8525. We can assign a truck accident attorney to investigate your case, confront the insurance company, and protect your legal rights after a truck crash.